There has been a renewed interest in Absinthe liquor about the world in the last decade since Absinthe’s legalization in many countries. Absinthe, also known as the Green Fairy or La Fee Verte, has only been legal in the United States since 2007, and only certain brands can be sold, so there is much interest in the liquor in the US.
What is Absinthe Liquor About?
Absinthe is a distilled anise flavored spirit which was created for medicinal purposes as an elixir or tonic by the legendary Dr Pierre Ordinaire in Couvet, Switzerland. It became popular in Switzerland and France in the 19th and early 20th centuries and even overtook wine in popularity in France.
Absinthe is usually made from a wine base and is flavored with herbs. Its main herbal ingredients are common wormwood (Artemisia Absinthium), which gives Absinthe its name and its bitter taste, aniseed and fennel. Other common herbs used in the production of Absinthe include hyssop, lemon balm, star anise, dittany, juniper, nutmeg and licorice.
There are many different types of Absinthe liquor:-
– Verte – This is the classic green Absinthe of the French La Belle Epoque and the Absinthe favored by the Bohemian culture of Montmartre and consumed by artists and writers such as Pablo Picasso, Van Gogh, Oscar Wilde, Ernest Hemingway, Gauguin, Degas, Baudelaire and Verlaine.
– La Blueu – Also known as La Blanche. This is a clear Absinthe. Bootleg Swiss Absinthe was clear during the ban.
– Czech Style Absinth – Some Czech Absinthes are normal Absinthes but this term refers to “Absinths” which are actually wormwood bitters and do not have an anise flavor.
– Absenta – Spanish Absinthe which has a sweeter flavor because it is made with Alicante Anise.
– Rouge or Rose Absinthe – This Absinthe has a naturally red color because of the added ingredient of hibiscus flowers.
You can buy many different types and styles of Absinthe online – traditional styles and modern classics which are based on vintage Absinthes but have a modern twist.
As well as buying these different types of Absinthe beverages, you can also make your own Absinthe from Absinthe essences. AbsintheKit.com supply essences to the Absinthe industry and to consumers. They make 4 different essences – a classic green Absinthe essence, a clear Absinthe essence, a strong essence which makes an Absinthe with a stronger bitter wormwood flavor, and an orange flavored essence which is flavored with orange oil and makes a lovely orange-yellow colored Absinthe. All the essences are made using top-quality herbs and are distilled so you don’t have to worry about distilling, simply order online and then mix with vodka or Everclear for your own wormwood Absinthe.
AbsintheKit.com also sell Absinthiana such as replicas of famous Absinthe glasses and spoons such as the Eiffel Tower spoon.
Absinthe is a very strong alcoholic beverage, up to 75% alcohol by volume, and is much stronger than whisky or vodka. Care should be taken when consuming such a strong spirit especially if it is being mixed with other strong spirits in cocktails – it is very easy to get drunk on Absinthe!
There are not many drinks like Absinthe liquor about which there are many myths, legends, lies and falsehoods – it has a very colorful and interesting history and is a lovely beverage to enjoy.